A delicious and of course effort involving (grating the carrots if you don’t have a processor) sweet! If you manage to get grated carrots or get it grated from some one, Then this will be a sweet that you will be making often.
Gajar Halwa, made from fresh grated carrots, sauteed in pure ghee and cooked in milk and Khoya, garnished with nuts.
The ingredients you will need are:
Serves: 13-15 Single serving
12 cups of grated carrot
4 tbs Ghee
2 cups of shredded Khoya/mawa
2 cups of milk
1 to 1.5 can of condensed milk (1 can=14oz) or 1. cup of sugar. Adjust depending upon how much sweet you want the halwa to be.
1/3 tsp of cardamom powder
A big pinch of Saffron, dissolved in a tbs of warm milk (optional)
10 blanched and cut into strips almonds/badam and pista
I prefer to use a wide non stick pan to make this sweet. You don’t have to stand next to it keep stirring and the risk of having a brunt sweet is zero!
Khoya/Mawa is nothing but whole milk thickened and reduced to thick cheese like consistency. Mostly used in Indian Cuisine and easily available is any stores these days. The remaining can be stored for a long time by refrigerating.
How I make it:
- In a wide pan, add the ghee and then grated carrot. Let it cook for 10 minutes till the raw smell of the carrot is gone and is very aromatic.
- Add 2 cups milk to it. Let the carrots cook on a slow flame, stirring occasionally, till the milk is absorbed.
- Add the Mawa/Khoya (grate or crumbled by hand) and mix well and continue cooking.
- Once the raw flavor of the Mawa/Khoya too has gone and completely mixed with the carrot, pour in the Condensed milk/Sugar.
- Let everything cook for 20-25 mins. Stirring now and then so that it doesn’t stick to the pan. Do not let it become very dry.
- Now add in the saffron milk and cardamom powder and switch off the stove.
- Garnish with chopped/sliced nuts.
Some tips & info:
This sweet can be served warm as well refrigerated for some time and served with Vanilla flavored ice cream. The second option tastes delicious on a sunny day afternoon or after a spicy meal.
Carrot Halwa can be made in large quantity and be refrigerated. When ever you want to have it warm, microwave for few seconds and will taste like just made.